Dental fluoride is an important part of protecting your child’s oral health. In addition to receiving fluoride from tap water, your child will benefit from the fluoride varnish applied to the teeth during a dental exam and teeth cleaning by the children’s dentists
at Smiles for Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics.
Fluoride for Children’s Oral Health
What makes fluoride an important part of children’s oral health? Fluoride combats cavities
and gum disease
in three ways:
- Fluoride promotes the remineralization of teeth, strengthening them.
- Fluoride makes teeth more resistant to the formation of tooth decay.
- Fluoride can inhibit oral bacteria from creating acids that rot teeth.
Fluoride is important to adults, but it’s an even more important part of children’s oral health. Your child’s baby teeth
and adult teeth are still developing. Children’s fluoride treatments are the best way to ensure healthy, strong teeth once your child is an adult.
Children’s Fluoride Treatment
Fluoride varnish is easy to apply and does not have an unpleasant taste. We apply a dental fluoride varnish to children because they are at high risk for gum disease and cavities. During a children’s fluoride treatment at Smiles for Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics:
- A dentist or dental assistant will apply a thin layer of fluoride varnish to the teeth with a brush.
- The entire surface of each tooth will be treated.
- The varnish sets in a few seconds once in contact with moisture.
- Your child should not eat or drink for at least 30 minutes after application.
Smiles for Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics is one of the most-referred pediatric dental offices in Albuquerque, New Mexico. One of the reasons more than 20,000 patients call us their dental home
is our dentists’ ability to work closely with parents on dental care. Contact us
to set up an appointment.
Smiles for Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics strives to provide the best pediatric dentistry in Albuquerque, NM. Call our caring staff at our Westside location at 505-892-9010 or our Northeast Heights office at 505-299-9606 to set up an appointment.